FEMA COVID-19 Information
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has announced that it will be providing financial assistance for COVID-19-related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020.
If the passing of your loved one was attributable to COVID-19, we wanted to let you know about the program and encourage you to keep and gather documentation should you wish to apply for FEMA COVID-19 Funeral Assistance.
My understanding to be eligible for funeral assistance, you must meet the following conditions:
- The death must have occurred in the United States, including the U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia.
- The death certificate must indicate the death was attributed directly or indirectly to COVID-19.
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after January 20, 2020.
- There is no requirement for the deceased person to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien.
FEMA has announced that they will begin accepting applications on Monday, April 12. Applications must be made by calling FEMA’s toll-free phone number: 844-684-6333 (TTY: 800-462-7585). The hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 8 PM (CT). Those who are determined to be eligible will then receive a letter from FEMA outlining the documentation that will need to be submitted online, by mail, or by fax to complete the application. That information includes:
- An official death certificate that attributes the death directly or indirectly to COVID-19 and shows that the death occurred in the United States, including the U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia.
- Funeral expenses documents (receipts, funeral home contract, etc.) that includes the applicant’s name, the deceased person’s name, the amount of funeral expenses, and the dates the funeral expenses happened.
- Proof of funds received from other sources specifically for use toward funeral costs. FEMA is not able to duplicate benefits received from burial or funeral insurance, financial assistance received from voluntary agencies, government agencies, or other sources.
Please go to FEMA’s website https://www.fema.gov/disasters/coronavirus/economic/funeral-assistance/faq Here you will find detailed information from FEMA’s website that provides more information and frequently asked questions about the program.